Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] hardware speedup factor starting from AMD Sempron

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] hardware speedup factor starting from AMD Sempron 3000+
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:21:24 -0800

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 02:38:50PM +0200, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> hi everybody,
>
> I have got my ETSI DVB-T transmitter code working on my linux box, which
> is based upon an AMD sempron 3000+ (single core) processor.
>
> Can anybody roughly esteem the speed up factor that I would have by
> upgrading to a state of the art desktop processor (maybe a dual core
> Intel Penryn)?
>
> Can I expect my code, as it is, to take some advantage of a multicore
> architecture?
>
> the gnuradiO REVISION i'm using is 3.01
>
> thanks
> vincenzo

At this moment we don't make that good of use of additional cores.
This will change by about January when the new "thread-per-block"
scheduler is in place.  At that point we should be able to take
advantage of up to 8 - 16 cores (depends on your flow graph) without
having to rework any other code.

Eric