[Discuss-gnuradio] RE: Finished Unofficial Gnuradio User Manual

From: Andrew Rose
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RE: Finished Unofficial Gnuradio User Manual
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:56:13 -0000

Firas,

Thanks for creating the manual.  As a new user, it has already helped me
find various bits and pieces that I may never have found otherwise.

Whilst the manual as-is makes a great reference document, can I suggest
that for a new user at least, it would be even more helpful if the
information was ordered differently - perhaps along the following lines.

Sources
  - noise_source_x
  - sig_source_x
  - vector_source_x
  - file_source

Sinks
  - fft_sink_x

Filters
Hardware control
Encoders (cross-referenced to the relevant decoder)
Decoders (cross-referenced to the relevant encoder)
Mathematical operators

Further, it would be helpful if the document identified those things
that were deprecated and due to disappear in a future release (e.g.
fftsink2.fft_sink_x should be used in preference to fftsink.fft_sink_x,
I believe).

Also, the "examples" section for each block is a great idea - but
doesn't seem to be complete.  For example, audio.sink is used in
gnuradio-examples/python/audio/audio_play.py, but that isn't referenced
in 1.25.2.

A minor point - I note that 1.8.16.4 says file_decriptor_[sink|source].
Presumably this is a typo and should be file_descriptor_[sink|source]
(decr -> descr)

Many thanks for all your hard work.

Andrew