[Discuss-gnuradio] USB 2.0 Question

From: Martin Gawecki
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB 2.0 Question
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:24:56 -0800

Hello Everyone,

I'm still kinda new to the whole Linux thing, so I have a general question. How do you find out if your machine has a USB 2.0 bus? After looking around the discussion list, I found the "lsusb" command as well as the note that USB 1.1 is "full speed" (running at 12 Mbps) while USB 2.0 is "high speed (running at 480 Mbps). When I run "sudo lsusb -vv", within the long list of info, I find that I have 2 buses with the following parameters (I'm assuming these are the parameters that are important):

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Device Descriptor:
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
  bDeviceProtocol         0 Full speed hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Device Descriptor:
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT

So I get that the first bus is 1.1, but even though it seems like the second bus is 2.0 , when I look further down into Configuration Descriptor -> Interface Descriptor -> bInterfaceProtocol i see a value of "Full Speed Hub".  I know the USRP works with this machine, so is Ubuntu just not able to fully recognize that bus 2 is "high speed"?

Also, I'm assuming that it doesn't matter that I have only one USB 2.0 "bus" even if I have two actual ports - both of them should run at 480 Mbps, right?

Lastly, is there an easier way to figure out what speed your USB bus is running at?

Thanks,
Martin Gawecki