Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] set_auto_tr(), gr_stall, and PTT

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] set_auto_tr(), gr_stall, and PTT
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 23:01:09 -0800

Michael Dickens wrote:
On Dec 29, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Matt Ettus wrote:
Your message stated you wanted to do "simultaneous TX/RX". If you want to switch back and forth, then you do not want simultaneous, which is a good thing. You want to use the auto t/r switching mode.

Just to clarify, and IIRC so please correct:

The "auto_tr()" mode works as follows: If -nothing- is on the TX stream on the USRP hardware (e.g. data is stalled, by whatever means), then RX will happen. If -anything- is going across USRP TX hardware (e.g. all 0's, your desired signal, whatever), then TX will happen.

yes

The best way to make use of "auto_tr()" is via packets, not streams ... thus my comment about not yet trying out a "gr_stall" block for streaming, since I haven't really tried "packets" yet.

I guess that would be correct

Given my PPT example, it makes more sense to use half-duplex on 1 antenna (not auto_tr), or full-duplex on 2 antennas (not auto_tr), rather than try to packetize the data stream to make use of auto_tr.

No, I would use auto_tr on 1 antenna. When there is nothing being sent on TX, it will receive. Just send a stream to the TX when you want to talk.

Matt