Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] odd behavior on new ofdm_benchmark_* code

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] odd behavior on new ofdm_benchmark_* code
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:45:26 +0000

Dev Ramudit wrote:
Hello all,

Running the new ofdm benchmark code doesn't seem to be working quite right. I only receive packets when I start the rx side while the tx side is already running, and even then I receive:

on one:
$ python benchmark_ofdm_tx.py -f 907M

on the other:
$ python benchmark_ofdm_rx.py -f 907M

ok: False        pktno: 69       n_rcvd: 1       n_right: 0
ok: False        pktno: 79       n_rcvd: 2       n_right: 0
ok: False        pktno: 83       n_rcvd: 3       n_right: 0
ok: False        pktno: 97       n_rcvd: 4       n_right: 0
ok: False        pktno: 111      n_rcvd: 5       n_right: 0
etc...

Restarting the tx side yields more received packets. However if the rx side is ever started when the tx side is not running, nothing ever gets received. Benchmark_loopback, the old benchmark_ofdm_* code and the new and old digital benchmark_* programs all run perfectly with these two computers/usrps. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dev Ramudit
Dev,

We're still working on this code. I don't have much time to work with two USRPs where I am right now, so I've only been working in the loopback case and not over the air. In loopback mode, things look good under various SNRs, frequency offsets, and multipath conditions. There is a problem with the reciever locking up under certain conditions because of the peak detector. In loopback, this is with a low SNR, so no signal would probably trigger this pretty quickly. We have a possible solution for this, but I don't know when I'll have time to work on it.

The other things to look at is the transmit power, decimation rate, and interpolation rates. Scale the power so you have enough signal strength at the receiver but not so much that you start clipping (remember the high peak to average power ratio in an OFDM signal). I think we found ~2000 for --tx-amp was ok.

Tom