[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and gnuradio errors - seems to disconnect often

From: Casey Tucker
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and gnuradio errors - seems to disconnect often
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:10:46 +0000

I've been doing some testing with a new USRP (manufactured 12/2007). My configuration is an Intel USB interface on a P965-S motherboard. I dual-boot XP SP2 and Arch Linux. In XP I've used Cygwin and MinGW. I've tried removing all but the TVRX board (which is mainly what I'm attempting to test), and my problems persist. I've also switched to another USB cable just to be sure.

What seems to be happening, is at random intervals while running the test scripts (mainly usrp_wfm_rcv.py and usrp_tv_rcv), the GUI hangs, and when I exit the GUI, I get messages as follow:

uOuOuOuOuOuOread: usb_reap_async: usb_reap_async: error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device does not recognize the command.

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device does not recognize the command

usrp_basic_rx: set_fpga_rx_enable failed
usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device does not recognize the command.

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device does not recognize the command.

usrp_basic_rx: failed to fini AD9862 RX regs

I've tried using two versions of usblib (0.1.10.1 and 0.1.12.1), and even tried loading different firmware. The result is always the same. It also does not matter which environment I'm using, Cygwin, MinGW, or Linux; the result is the same. The other board I've tried using is the FLEX900 -- same results with its scripts.

I'm left to assume that I have faulty hardware, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who is experiencing such problems. Any ideas? Anyone? I've followed the wiki instructions exactly.

Oh, another symptom (or is it?)... tuning in NTSC, not so good. I can see the image but it doesn't sync properly-- I find myself wanting to look for a those little knobs on the side of old TVs, you know the ones that sync up the image vertically and horizontally. Tuning in FM audio sounds fine. It could be my signal is weak, but somehow I doubt it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

-Casey