[Discuss-gnuradio] what drives noutput_items passed to forecast?

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] what drives noutput_items passed to forecast?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:21:17 -0500

Hi all,

I understand the basics that forecast is ensuring the number of input items exist to produce a certain number of output items, but what exactly drives the number of output items that are passed to forecast()? What drives the scheduler to select this number?

For example, if I run benchmark_rx.py and monitor noutput_items in gr_clock_recovery_mm_ff.cc, it looks like this:
http://cyprus.cmcl.cs.cmu.edu/tmp/clockr_forecast

But, what drives this noutput_items parameter decision?

Is the scheduler in an iterative process where, with an exponential decay, it asks: "How many input items do i need to produce noutput_items?" ... starting at 2^13, which I'm assuming is some sort of maximum buffer size?

Then, if it does not have enough items, it decreases the noutput_items it is passing exponentially, and asks again... until it has enough input items, then calls work().

Thanks!
George