Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about uO and FPGA

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about uO and FPGA
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:57:50 -0500

DiX wrote:
    The problem is I have to use relatively high bit rate on these tx and rx
paths. The demic rate should be <=16, and interp rate <=32. When I run the
code with decim rate = 16 interp rate = 32, I keep receiving uO. My
questions are : what's the max rate the USRP can support in this case? and
is there any fatal fault in my graph design?

Hi Di,

uO means that the USRP is overrunning, in other words your host machine cannot keep up with the incoming data rate.

The USRP cannot keep up with more than 8Msps due to the USB bus limitation with 32-bit complex. You will get overruns if you try anything more than this. Let's take the case of a single daughterboard... you will not be able to use a decimation rate lower than 8 (64Msps/8 = 8Msps).

The first thing to do, is to check to see if your machine can keep up with 8Msps. Run "./usrp/host/apps/test_usrp_standard_rx -D 8" and see if you get any uO. If not, keep increasing the decimation until you get no uO.

Since you're using two RX chains, with a decimation rate of 8, you'd be generating 16Msps since each chain generates 8Msps. Therefore, when you say "decim rate should be <=16" ... <=16 is not possible, only =16. With decim=16 you're generating 4Msps per chain, for a total of 8Msps.

- George