Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM packets

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM packets
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:43:12 +0000

Crespi Floriana wrote:
Scrive Eric Blossom <address@hidden>:

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:51:18PM +0100, Crespi Floriana wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with OFDM system.
I transmit OFDM signal at 2.4 GHz, but I receive half of the total packets.
Moreover, only half of the packets received are correct.
CRC controller is perfect but i want a ber estimate, so I change the
payload (binary file) and I  receive check bit by bit.
The result of my alteration test is similar than CRC test.
I have a lot of frequency offset, therefore I change manually the frequency
receiver.
I use revision 6845 and RFX 2400.
Example with crc:
The final packet I receive:
ok: False      pktno 4602   n_rcvd 1300       n_right 83

Why can't i get all the packets?
Could you help me??

I'm testing OFDM system without USRP and none of the packets are lost.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Crespi,

You have neglected to tell us virtually anything about your problem.
Could you please tell us:

  which version of GNU Radio?  trunk, tarball (which one), etc?
  what operating system, distribution and architecture?
  the command line you issued
  any modifications you may have made to distributed code?
  anything else that might be relevant

Thanks,
Eric

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I use:
* Linux K-Ubuntu 7.04
*Gnuradio Trunk 6845
The command are :
--TX--
sudo python benchmark_ofdm_tx.py -f 2.442e9 -T A --tx-amplitude 10000
--RX--> sudo python benchmark_ofdm_rx.py -f 2.4419899e9 -T A
(occuped tones, size packet and fft are default value)

That's a very high amplitude. The PAPR of OFDM will hit you at this amplitude. Stay between 1000 and 4000.

Important: If I don't change Rx frequency it can't receive!!

OFDM is notoriously sensitive to frequency offset. With the RFX2400 boards, the frequency deviation is likely just outside the range we allow.

Tom

I change the payload. I upload file to the code and I calculate its lenght.
Number packets= (lenght file/ size packets)+1
Before my modification I tested ofdm system and the result is similar then after
modification.
The trial simulation (without USRP and antennas) is perfect. I Receive all
packets and they are correct.
I tested with coax for estimate channel problem but the result is similar to
real channel. I thought the problem was the channel but this experiment reject
my theory.
I don't find the problem because my alteration code don't change the core code.

This is my result. final packet
Trial simulation
ok: True         pktno: 4609     n_rcvd: 4610    n_right: 4610

bit right 14750243
bit wrong  0.0
All correct

Coax

ok: False        pktno: 4000     n_rcvd: 1300    n_right: 830

bit right 2109817
bit wrong 2050183

Thank you a lot for your help.