[Discuss-gnuradio] connecting the USRP

From: Ahmet Hasim Gokceoglu
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] connecting the USRP
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 00:22:10 +0200

Hi,

We have recently installed the GNU Radio Software, and got the USRP with 2 daughterboards. We have seen a couple of instructions for USRP to obtain the necessary firmware files but the problem is those documentations date back to 2005 and I guess there are some changes from that time. For example I have found this instructions from a documentation from 2006

    "Plug the Power cord into the usrp. You should see a green LED (hidden under the "RXA" daughterboard, which is nearest to the USB connector) blinking at about 2Hz (twice a second). When a USRPapplication starts, the USRP will load two files from the directory /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2:usrp_firmware.ihx and usrp_fpga.rbf. The blinking LED should slow down to 1Hz (once a second)
after the usrp_firmware.ihx file was loaded successfully. Ensure the file usrp_fpga.rbf is in that /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2 directory. Note that if you install the usrp module from CVS, it won't be there. You'll have to get the tarball of usrp-XXX.tar.gz from the GNU Radio download page, extract this one file, copy it to the right place.

cp usrp-*.*/fpga/rbf/usrp_fpga_rev2.rbf           /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2/usrp_fpga.rbf "

One problem is that we only have multi_2rxhb_2tx.rbf, std.ihx, std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf, std_4rx_0tx.rbf usrp_radar_mono.rbf and usrp_sounder.rbf files under rev2 file, so does anyone know whether the files under /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2 has changed recently. Another thing is that we have installed the gnu radio software under another file so the exact path for our case is /opt/gnuradio/share/usrp/rev2. Does this make any difference? I mean do we have to do some extra things for USRP read the necessary files.

Ahmet