[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [hpsdr] AB2KT and the opera

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [hpsdr] AB2KT and the opera
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:07:41 -0400

Frank Brickle wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Bob McGwier <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
    Well I apologize for sending that note out inviting everyone to
    come to
    a sold out performance.   I hope no one was inconvenienced...

For the record, it should be noted that the N4HY crowd in the audience led the cheering, so the level of enthusiasm should be viewed with some skepticism.

Okay, so I brought half of New Jersey with me. Bill Andersen (master of ceremonies) said WOW, did you bring half of New Jersey with you? ;-). He then introduced me to the conductor for the guitar ensemble and I could not figure out why until the conductor (prodded by Bill) introduced himself as an ex-Marine who left an intelligence division in Iraq on medical disability and then out. He then introduced me to his sister, who was STILL such a non-com and was headed back. They showed me a picture the OTHER sister who was still there! Let me assure you, NEVER EVER judge a book by its cover. You would not have picked this long haired, VERY stereotypical musical scene type nor his GORGEOUS sisters out as Marines.

When Bill and I compared notes, we found that Frank has almost managed to keep his musical and "polymath" worlds completely separated. We have each known Frank as long as the other and I never heard Frank mention Bill until the (now infamous) George Antheil Music Festival (coinventor of Spread Spectrum with Hedy Lamarr and major composer).

The presenters may actually have made some money on this show. That is the part nobody could have predicted.
With packed house, and people TURNED AWAY at the box office (I heard them doing it as Meghan arrived late), I believe all parties made money. Congratulations indeed.

After many decades of being a composer, it's my belief that writing music is a lot like architecture: the fundamental task is to make sure nobody gets killed or injured by your work. By that standard, the evening was a raging success.

And here I thought that the process was simply living long enough without getting killed or killing yourself so that your contemporaries were too senile or tired to know better. ;-).

My greatest thanks to everyone.

Frank

Our thanks to you for allowing us to have so much fun by having you as a peer. The evening was fun beyond belief until I picked up the bill for four people at Trattoria del Arte.
Now! Can we do some ham radio?

;-)

Bob

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan