Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:40:12 -0600

Eric-

> > > The DV Dongle device uses open source firmware.
> >
> > Do you mean inside the Dongle?  If so, which firmware?
>
> From the information on the DV Dongle list the shipping firmware is the same
> as on the moetronix.com  web site.
> http://www.moetronix.com/dvdongle/

Hmm.  Yes it does seem they are saying everything inside the Dongle is open
source.
But I don't see how they can do that since as far as I know, DVSI has never
provided
open source for IMBE or AMBE.  I'm going to guess that if you pin down
Moetronix,
they will tell you the open source refers to the Atmel 91SAM7S microcontroller
that's
in there, not the TI DSP.

I would further guess that since there is a hardware 'boundary' between the
Atmel and
the DSP (most likely one of the "McBSP" simple synchronous serial ports found
on many
TI DSPs), they will tell you they don't face a GPL requirement to show the DVSI
source.  I.e. it looks like a brick and they don't know what's in it.

-Jeff