Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] execute MATLAB code with mlab_call

From: Dev Ramudit
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] execute MATLAB code with mlab_call
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:14:58 -0400

Greg Troxel wrote:
        I've been working with a colleague who works mostly in MATLAB
  to prototype and test the work we're doing, so I've written a block
  that uses the MATLAB engine interface to execute MATLAB code as part
of a flowgraph.
I wonder if you could make this work with octave.  MATLAB is decidedly
non-Free, and thus I'd expect that any support to interoperate with
MATLAB probably wouldn't be eligble for integration into the tree.

How do you link this in such a way that you can follow the GPL and
distribute it?

It seems like octave has a similar interface (http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?CategoryExternal under OctaveEngine), which could be used in a way very similar to the code I have.

I know that there exists other projects under open licenses that use the MATLAB engine API (pylab, mlabwrap, ruby-matlab, etc.). I'm not well versed in licensing issues, but reading through the MATLAB software license I don't see any issues with linking to the shared objects the interface provides. I'm very inexperienced in this area, so please let me know if I'm incorrect.

Thanks,
Dev