Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:59:11 -0400

"Pu, Di" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to figure out the Matlab interface to USRP. Although I
> could enable the communications between Matlab and GNU Radio, I am
> wondering whether it is possible to make Matlab hook to USRP directly
> without GNU radio. Thank you very much!

(This isn't entirely directed at you - there has been discussion of
proprietary software recently, and I know from private correspondence
that several others share the views below.  Thus, I thought it helpful
to air them.)

<rms>My impression is that the charter of the list is to advance GNU
Radio as a Free software implementation of SDR, within the context of a
larger effort to have enough Free software so that we don't need to use
any proprietary software.</>  Although I don't see this notion on the
wiki, it's the normal notion for lists associated with official GNU
projects of the FSF.

If you're interested in using the USRP with proprietary software like
Matlab, I would suggest also asking on some Matlab user's list.  I
believe that a number of the more clueful people on this list are
philosophically disinclined to volunteer to help people use proprietary
software.

There has been some recent discussion about using Free software that has
matlab-like features, like octave and freemat.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
  http://freemat.sourceforge.net/