RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] smooth transition from acquisition to tracking

From: Heckler, Gregory W. (GSFC-596.0)
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] smooth transition from acquisition to tracking
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 15:20:13 -0500

Have a FIFO that hold 1 millisecond chunks of IF data. Let each 1 ms chunk be tagged with a number, k. The acquisition will grab a 1 ms chunk, k, while the rest of the receiver will go ahead and process subsequent chunks on the FIFO. When the acquisition is complete, you can start a correlator at some new 1 ms chunk, k+m. You then use the Doppler frequency the acquisition returns to propagate the delay, t at chunk k, to a new delay at chunk k+m. Here is the corresponding code in my software receiver (found in correlator.cpp):

        /* Update delay based on current packet count */
        dt = packet.count - result.count;
        dt *= .001;
        dt *= (double)result.doppler*(double)CODE_RATE/(double)L1;
        result.delay += CODE_CHIPS + dt;
        result.delay = fmod(result.delay, CODE_CHIPS);

Check out my software receiver at www.gps-sdr.com. It works with the USRP and DBS-RX card in realtime.