[Discuss-gnuradio] GPS Receiver Daughter-boards / Antennas

From: bagnallb
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS Receiver Daughter-boards / Antennas
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:32:03 -0400

Hello,
I am trying to implement a GPS receiver in GNURadio. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on which daughter board I should be using for the receiver. I currently have a DBSRX-LF board and also a RFX1800 board that both seem to operate over the correct frequencies but am wondering if there is a reason I should prefer one over the other. (ex. Noise performance, Antenna Interface...) I am also open to suggestions if there is another board that I should be looking at instead.

Also, I am wondering if there are any suggestions on the antenna that I should purchase. It is my understanding that I will need an active antenna and am wondering how I should interface it to the board.

From past messages I gather that I will need to provide a DC bias and there are at least three ways to do this. What are the benefits of using an off-board tee instead of what is included on the board? I've seen some antennas that come with there own power supply and thought that this may take care of this problem?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Bryan