Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues

From: Steve Peters
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:14:07 -0500

Hi George,

Thanks for the quick and thought-out response.  I actually tried with
the new rbf yesterday.  It produces no noticeable differences in the
output I'm interested in at this point.

Second, we are not seeing any underrun.  I have verified this in two
ways.  First, I check pkt->underrun() after reading the packet in
usrp_rx.cc.  Second, I logged the packets to file, ran ./read_packets
<filename> (redirecting output to another file), and did a
case-insensitive grep of that new file for "underrun".  Nothing ever
comes up.

However, to see if the usrp_rx mblock is being starved, I turned on
some verbose printing in the usrp_server and usrp_usb_interface.  The
following is a typical sequence:

<a few thousand or so packets successful, context switching between
mblocks balanced; usrp_rx reads roughly 8 packets before switching
context>
<about 180 usb_packets are successively read by the usrp_rx before the
next context switch.  Of these, the 130th or 135th one contains a
spike in the timestamp>
<normal operation for awhile before another long block of reads by
usrp_rx and another timestamp spike>

(also, long reads by the usrp_rx are often preceded by long gaps where
the usrp_rx is not executing)

In short, it appears as if the timestamp spike is occurring in the
middle of a string of successive packets read from the usrp without
context switching.

Anyway, I figured one solution might be to have the usrp_rx do an
omni_thread::yield() operation after reading several packets.  I tried
this out with various numbers of maximum iterations of the while loop
(80, 30, 8), and the problem persists.  It seems to happen in the
middle of the longest burst of packets, if that makes sense.  So if I
yield after 80 packets, the timestamp will spike around the 47th
packet.  If I yield after 30 packets, the timestamp spikes at around
the 12th packet.

The strange thing to us is that the timestamp spike invariably changes
the "steady state" operation of the timestamp offset between the two
channels.  This says "FPGA" to us, especially since we aren't getting
an underrun flag.

Steve