Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The OpenBTS project - an open-source GSM basestat

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The OpenBTS project - an open-source GSM basestation using the USRP and VoIP
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:19:04 -0700

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 07:42:56PM -0700, Harvind Samra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to introduce a new open-source project we've created, the
> openBTS project.
>
> The Open BTS Project is an effort to construct an open-source Unix
> application that uses the USRP to present a GSM air interface ("Um") to
> a standard GSM handset and uses the Asterisk software PBX to connect
> calls. The combination of the ubiquitous GSM air interface with VoIP
> backhaul could form the basis of a new type of cellular network that
> could be deployed and operated at substantially lower cost than existing
> technologies in greenfields in the developing world.
>
> Please take a look at
>
> http://openbts.sourceforge.net/
>
> We recently took our existing code to Burning Man 2008, and we were able
> to successfully operate as a GSM basestation.
>
> We'll be releasing portions of the code and architecture in the next
> several weeks, and we're looking to recruit contributors to the project.
> Hopefully, with a community effort, we'll have a more robust, elegant
> system.  Any questions or comments can be sent address@hidden
> or address@hidden
>
> Thanks to the USRP and gnuradio projects and communities for helping us
> make this possible!
>
> --- Harvind Samra

It's great that you had it working out on the playa.

Is there any particular reason you're not releasing the code now?
We don't mind looking at code that's not finished.

Are you planning on releasing _all_ of the code?
If not, why are you calling yourselves the OpenBTS project?
If yes, now's a good time :-)

Eric