Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software (was comedilib question)

From: Dimitris Symeonidis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software (was comedilib question)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:20:22 +0200

Just putting my 2c in: I also think it's a great idea to have a 3rd party repository, independently of license, the existence of a maintainer etc

The main gain of this would be a demonstration of the strength of GnuRadio. Here's what I mean:
Today, if someone who has no clue about what GnuRadio can do visits our wiki and downloads the latest stable version, then has a look around to see what it can do, will conclude: GnuRadio is a bunch of infrastructure stuff (sources, sinks, processing blocks such as filters etc, a scheduler) and the "examples", which are very useful to flatten the learning curve, but are pretty basic.

Instead, let's say he has the option to download also the 3rd-party package (in Ubuntu they call it the Universe and Multiverse repositories), which might or might not be GPL, and does tons of stuff, like (partially) GSM, (partially) WiFi, (partially) bluetooth, (partially) RDS
I think it would make a much stronger point of the breadth and strength of the GnuRadio developer and user community, as well as about the potential of the software itself...

Kind regards
PS Jonathan is right, it's only an idea until someone implements it
PS2 Thanx to Eric for already registering the domain

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 21:04, Johnathan Corgan <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM, George Nychis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe an additional SVN is what we need.  Maybe a GIT repo.  A wiki so that
> people can provide some information about their code.  We need something.  I
> don't care of its officially supported by GNU Radio or not, but I think it
> would certainly benefit the GNU Radio community.

Open source software and infrastructure grows by the volunteer efforts
of those who find ideas important enough to go implement.

What you describe is an excellent idea, but will remain only an
expressed wish, until it is implemented.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC