[Discuss-gnuradio] boost::thread_resource_error in gr-pager

From: Nick Foster
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost::thread_resource_error in gr-pager
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:00:01 +0000

Hi all,

Hoping this isn't a naive question. I'm running into Boost errors when attempting to run the FLEX decoder, specifically the multithreaded instances (usrp_flex_all.py and usrp_flex_band.py). Here's the output:

address@hidden:~/gnuradio/gr-pager/src$ ./usrp_flex_band.py -R A -g 32 -c 13e3
>>> gr_fir_fff: using SSE
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::thread_resource_error'
  what():  boost::thread_resource_error
Aborted

So, Boost can't allocate a thread, or a mutex, or a lock, or something. It's a pretty ambiguous error. I've read that similar errors occur when the target application is compiled without pthreads, but that's definitely not the case (in fact, the makefile appears to include the -pthreads option twice). I'm running Boost 1.36.0, as recommended, and installed in /opt/boost_1_36_0/ as indicated in README.building-boost. It was built from source. The one (possibly) related issue is that, when make-ing Gnuradio, I had to provide a symbolic link to:

/opt/boost_1_36_0/lib/libboost_thread-gcc42-mt-1_36.so.1.36.0

from:

/usr/lib/libboost_thread-gcc42-mt-1_36.so.1.36.0

in order to get it to compile without errors, even though I provided --with-boost=/opt/boost_1_36_0/ to the configure script (I believe the compile failed somewhere in gruel). This is on CVS revision 9420 (25 Aug 2008). I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron, if that gives any clues. I'm assuming this is simply a Boost installation problem, but I'm unable to find helpful information anywhere else.

Nick