Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP vs alternatives

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP vs alternatives
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:57:32 -0700

I really does not have it's own software.  It's just that most softrock user
like to use the "rocky" software because it runs on Windows.  You can't
really do much with Rocky because it is closed source, binary only.

Many people are using other software with softrock hardware.  However
I think most of that "other" software is Dttsp based rather then
gnuradio based. The
hardware is designed to be connected to a sound card and outputs
I and Q over a pair of analog outputs.  So what ever software you use
it would not have to "talk" to the softrock, it would talk to your
computer's audio subsystem.  Connections to the SR are all
analog

The kit costs only $8 for the
receiver and even with it's use of SMD is not hard to build.