[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 startup

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 startup
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 09:43:03 -0400

Matt Ettus said the following on 10/04/2008 03:17 PM:

> Run usrp2_fft.py, which is found in gr-utils and should also be
> installed in your path if you did a make install on the full tree.

Hi Matt --

Got things built and usrp2_fft.py working (more or less).

Just FYI, on my 3 year old Thinkpad T42 laptop with 1.6 GHz Pentium M, I
can display about 4MHz of spectrum (decimate 25) with good results.
Trying to show 5 MHz works, but occasional flakiness results.  Anything
beyond that causes either very jerky display, or lockup.

Using nice -10 helps a bit.  I don't know if this is consistent with
what others have seen.  Next step is to build on my Athlon X64 in the
basement to see how that does.

Two questions for you:

1.  When I'm trying to look at more data than the laptop can handle, the
console prints "S" characters.  What does that signify; I'd have thought
O or U would still apply?

2.  The usrp2_fft.py program is pretty nice, but changing the frequency
in the input box doesn't seem to work -- when I type something in, I get
an "OK" at the bottom left of the window, but the display freezes and
nothing further happens.

John