Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using gnu-radio for ARM NEON

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using gnu-radio for ARM NEON
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:11:15 -0400

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM, John Gilmore <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Do you mind adding NEON to this list?  NEON is a SIMD unit on ARM
>> Cortex-A8 processors. Information on NEON instructions is at
>> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0204h/Bcfjicf
>> j.html.
>> Sorry it si the superseded link, I'm too lazy to find the current one
>> :)
>
> This assembler language manual gives pretty good details (except
> actual instruction encodings):
>

> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.dui0204h/DUI0204H_rvct_assembler_guide.pdf
>
> I also tried looking at NEON for the ARM-9, but got:
>
>  http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0409a/index.html
>
>  "Cortex-A9 NEON Media Processing Engine Technical Reference Manual
>   Revision: r0p0

The Cortex-A9 is not the same as an arm9. The Beagle uses a Cortex-A8
which is an armv7 architecture processor. Confusing? Yes. An arm9
processor uses an armv5 instruction set. (From memory)

The arm7 technical reference is not public, but if you ask nicely you
can get a copy. Needing it to implement NEON based filters for GNU
Radio was a good reason.

Bottom line: companies are still "funny" about doucmentation for high
end products, but attitudes are changing very slowly.

Philip