Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] amateur virtual radio

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] amateur virtual radio
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:58:10 -0400

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Bob Keyes <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am wondering if there are any projects to build a 'virtual transceiver'
> using gnu radio, and specifically using the USRP hardware. what I mean by
> this is a gui control panel to present an interface and capabilities of a
> typical amateur transceiver.
>
> If anyone knows of any such soft, please do tell.

GNU Radio includes a soft HF radio (helpfully named "HF Radio), which
is currently RX only but otherwise pretty conventional.  Finishing it
off would be fairly straight forward, and it wouldn't be to hard go
far beyond the abilities of typical transceivers. (i.e. the ability to
rewind playback!)

I've also talked to another of people in 23cm via nbfm using the PTT
client. ::shrugs::

I think the GNURadio USRP is a excellent platform for amateur
experimentation: although it's not as attractive as other solution for
people interested exclusively in HF weak signal work, it's pretty much
the only solder-free SDR solution for working in VHF/UHF/SHF and the
broadband capabilities open up many additional possibilities (high
speed digital modes, ATV, etc).

Greg Maxwell
NT4TN