[Discuss-gnuradio] Boston area GNUradio / USRP meetup?

From: Bob Keyes
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boston area GNUradio / USRP meetup?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:40:49 -0800 (PST)

I've counted just among people who I've met, two groups at Harvard and two
groups at MIT who are using or plan to use GNUradio on the USRP. I know of a
couple of others who are interested in using it but are waiting for a bit more
software to be available for amateur radio use.

I wonder if an in-person meetup would be useful, or at least enjoyable. For the
academics, it's probably best to do this between semesters, in January. I can
arrange a space for up to fifteen or so people at the Harvard Wireless Club
without any hassle, could probably get a bigger room if need be. But I am not
insisting it be at Harvard.

Topics I'd like to cover would be a show-n-tell of the USRP2, some info on
other gnuradio devices, perhaps short summaries by each participant of their
projects or interests, and perhaps even an in-depth presentation. Lastly, we
could have a 'swap-meet' where boards are bought-sold-traded, cables,
enclosures, antennas, components, etc.

It could also be a good place for personal inter-networking. business card
exchange and so forth.

If you think this is a good idea or bad, etc., air your views here on the
forum. If you just want to say "I am interested", drop me some private email.
Once we get a core group of people who would be working on this, I'd move
traffic off this list in order to keep the noise down.

Regards,
Bob Keyes
Harvard University
rkeyes at fas dot harvard dot edu