Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Big bugs out of nowhere...

From: Igor Almeida
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Big bugs out of nowhere...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:56:50 -0300

Please allow me to bump this thread as my problem seems to be similar
to Jared's.
I have successfully compiled and executed a previous version of
gnuradio, namely gnuradio-3.0-rc1, on my machine (an AMD Athlon(tm) 64
Processor 3200+, let's call it MyMachine) and right now I am trying to
build a .deb package from the gnuradio-3.1.3.tar.gz tarball, and
install it in a second machine (an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
E6550  @ 2.33GHz, which I'll call OtherMachine and the logs right
below will call it laps29). Please excuse the spacing from
/proc/cpuinfo .

The compilation/testing (both on MyMachine and OtherMachine) went well
(not sure if related: I did not run ./bootstrap), dependencies are
met, udev rule is created, everything peachy. On MyMachine, I can run
usrp_fft.py without any hiccups. Though the installation of the
package is fine on OtherMachine, only the root user can run
usrp_benchmark_usb.py (on both machines and their users, PYTHONPATH is
properly set). Here's what happens when a normal member of the usrp
group tests the setup:

address@hidden:/usr/local/gnuradio/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp$
python usrp_benchmark_usb.py
Testing 2MB/sec... Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 106, in <module>
    main ()
  File "usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 96, in main
    ok = run_test (rate, verbose)
  File "usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 63, in run_test
    usrp_tx = usrp.sink_s (0, tx_interp)
  File "/usr/local/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py",
line 229, in __init__
    _ensure_rev2(which)
  File "/usr/local/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py",
line 85, in _ensure_rev2
    v = _look_for_usrp(which)
  File "/usr/local/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py",
line 79, in _look_for_usrp
    raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find USRP #%d" % (which,)
RuntimeError: Unable to find USRP #0

At first, I thought it was something with udev rules, but I can find
the proper device in /dev/bus/usb:
/dev/bus/usb/007:
total 0
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 768 2008-12-17 07:33 001
crw-rw---- 1 root usrp 189, 770 2008-12-17 11:17 003

I double-checked the group id's and .rules file:
address@hidden:/usr/local/gnuradio/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp$
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-usrp.rules
ACTION=="add", BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="fffe",
SYSFS{idProduct}=="0002", GROUP:="usrp", MODE:="0660"

I ruled out having to mount usbfs (as per some other thread in this
list) since udev's rule worked with gnuradio-3.0-rc1.

Any ideas?