Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Faulty USRP microprocessor?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Faulty USRP microprocessor?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:47:57 -0800

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 12:07 +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> I'm glad to inform that replacing the FX2 chip resolved the problem and the
> USRP appears to be fully operational, e.g. usrp_benchmark and usrp_wfm work
> out of the box.

Glad to hear it!

> I since tried to connect the board using a USB2.0 cable of 5m in length and
> can't establish communication with it. The cable length is within the USB2.0
> specifications. It may just be a poor quality or bad cable, but would like to
> hear if anyone else has been successful in using a long USB cable.

While 5m is indeed the spec, my experience with many USRPs and USB
cables has been that only high quality cables that have been USB 2.0
certified can be depended upon.  I've had brand new cables that would
otherwise be in spec, but lack the 2.0 certification logo, completely
fail.  On other occasions, they'll work fine, but then fail mysteriously
at odd times.  I don't think I've ever seen a 3m cable fail, or a
certified 5m cable fail, so it just looks like there isn't much margin.

-Johnathan