Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp<->gnuradio<->puredata

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp<->gnuradio<->puredata
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:14:23 -0800

Welcome!

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:18:25PM +0000, [ Cosmin ] wrote:

> Dears,I would like to develop a patch in puredata [1] that offers
> the possibility of using the USRP via GnuRadio trough interactive
> programmed-object interface.For this, the GnuRadio GUI is not needed
> (I presume), but I have to find out how It could be possible to
> pilot every tasks normally provided by a GUI directly from puredata
> (like in the way of WebSDR but with no GUI) .

This shouldn't be a problem.  GNU Radio is not dependent on any GUI.

> There are several
> "objects" in pd that coulb be used for that:- "netsend" and
> "netreceive" via TCP/IP and UDP- pd-py (compiled via pd-flext) [at
> this day I was not able to compile it on Debian nor OSX...work in
> progress]Maybe netsend and netreceive could do that easely.But first
> I would like to know if It's possible to make communicating GnuRadio
> and puredata.

Sounds possible.  TCP, UDP or named pipes should work fine.

> This developpment could be very useful for GnuRadio and
> the USRP:- possibility to automatize every tasks to the USRP -
> interactive processes- network connectivity using pd (like WebSDR
> but without Java...)Maybe you can advice me or even work toghether
> for the developpment of this project.Best regards,Cosmin[1]

I suggest that you look at the interface provided by usrp_standard_rx
and usrp_standard_tx.  That would be the interface to use.

http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/usrp/host/lib/legacy/usrp_standard.h
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/usrp/host/lib/legacy/usrp_basic.h

The USRP FAQ will probably be helpful too:

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UsrpFAQ

Or (more or less equivalent)

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/attachment/wiki/UsrpFAQ/USRP_Documentation.pdf

Thanks,
Eric

[Admin note: please don't post HTML mail to this list.]