Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Timestamps, data rates

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Timestamps, data rates
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:02:52 -0700

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 03:13:51PM +0000, Juha Vierinen wrote:

> Off topic: We have been playing around with my USRP2 and it seems very
> nice. I noticed that even though the FAQ strongly discourages
> connecting the USRP2 to your main network, it does actually work. We
> have a fairly large LAN and I assume that the USRP2 could possibly
> flood the network when doing 25 MHz. Is there any other reason for not
> just putting the USRP2 in your LAN?

If you are receive-only, there's a pretty good chance it'll work, even
if there's a switch in between.  When transmitting, we are using
ethernet PAUSE frames to provide backpressure to the host.  Whether
this works through switches is depends on a lot of things that we
don't have any control over.  Thus our recommendation to connect the
USRP2 directly to the host on a dedicated port.

Eric