Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MIMO and USRP

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MIMO and USRP
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 14:42:45 -0700

john boon wrote:
hi all,
i haven't had any reply till now on "MIMO with USRP". its very unfortunate that big people like eric,jonathan and even matt didn't reply to my query. A Board like USRP which started way back in 2005 (usrp1..which is mimo capable according to ieee spectrum 2006 ), still dont have any reference code for MIMO. sorry to say, this is really slow pace..work. I Understand I NEED to write and make a way out and for that one has to go through mails lists archives. But my investigation requires me to test different flavours of MIMO, i would have been happy if there is some working code on which I NEED TO BUILD MANY FLAVOURS of MIMO without really breaking down my head over writing hardware related configurations program. Forget about C++, i dont think any python reference code exists for MIMO. having so many standards like wimax and LTE which have MIMO implementations, i think gnuradio forum people should seriously think about MIMO implementations. Anyway..no way..out i have started writing code..but i still stand on the word.."this is not the way you support for open source hardware ----> this is to hardware manufacturers"

thanks
john

John,

Normally I wouldn't respond to a post/flame like this, but in this case I'll make an exception.

On response, or lack thereof, to your original email -- there are a number of reasons that I did not respond to it. First, your email was sent about 2 days before, and sometimes when you are busy it just takes longer than that to get to it. Second, in addition to the mailing list, you sent copies of it to 10 people, at least 8 of whom are also on the GNU Radio mailing list. You then sent it to the mailing list _again_ only 5 hours later, resulting in 3 copies of it for all of us.

I can't and don't speak, however, for the other "big" people, but I do know they are busy as well. We all do tend to be more likely to answer questions when it looks like the author has followed these guidelines:

        http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/ReportingErrors

On the subject of there being no MIMO reference implementation -- you need to understand that GNU Radio is a library on which to build your applications. We do have examples in the code which show how to receive multiple signals simultaneously, and how to transmit multiple signals simultaneously.

We cannot possibly have reference implementations of everything people would like to do with GNU Radio. That is a little like saying that the glibc C library should have a reference implementation of a word processor. Also, LTE, WiMAX, and other systems like that are _very_ complex, and a reference implementation could take many person-years to complete. Us "big people" only have so many hours in a day.

I can tell you that many people have successfully built MIMO systems around GNU Radio and the USRP, so it is possible to do with the tools which we have provided. Some of these implementations were done as part of Master's or PhD theses, and some have been done in the commercial sphere. It would be nice if these implementations were contributed back to GNU Radio or to CGRAN (or even hosted elsewhere), but we cannot force anyone to do this.

As for a slow pace to the work, I would say that this is a volunteer project, and people work on what they are interested in. None of the core people are working on a MIMO reference implementation. Instead, we are working on the _core_ itself, so that we can provide the best possible platform for _you_ to build your application.

As for hardware support, the first thing to understand is that Eric Blossom and Johnathan Corgan do not supply hardware. They receive no direct benefit from your purchase. They have their own companies, (Blossom Research and Corgan Enterprises respectively), and do consulting and training around GNU Radio in order to earn a living.

If you do feel that the hardware support has been lacking, then I am sorry. However, I do not promise to include MIMO reference implementations or immediate answers to every question about GNU Radio with your purchase. This is a part of the reason why we can provide the hardware at the price we do.

Matt