Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Further explain about receiving packets using

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Further explain about receiving packets using 2 daughter
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 20:45:29 -0700

William Sherman wrote:
Ok the problem was I set my decimation too high (256), even though on the faq it says I can go [8, 256]. I tried it with 128 and it worked.

Yet I am able to receive packets generated by my own usrp (usrp transmits and receives its own packet) correctly. Does performance of dbpsk modulation decrease with increased decimation so that a packet generated from another usrp some distance away has really bad performance?

Under ideal conditions, the lower the bit rate, the better the performance should be. However, real radios have a frequency offset. When you lower the data rate (i.e. increase the decimation rate), the same absolute frequency offset in Hz will look like a bigger and bigger fraction of the signal bandwidth. If you lower the signal bandwidth enough, the frequency error might put the signal completely out of the receiver bandwidth.

The normal way to solve this is to add an algorithm that will scan the receiver frequency in order to find signals. The gnuradio examples do not do this. Thus, you will sometimes find that you get better performance at higher data rates than you get with lower data rates.

Matt