[Discuss-gnuradio] Modifying the USRP FPGA core

From: Mark Porter
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modifying the USRP FPGA core
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 09:42:17 -0400

Hi,

Since the USB data rate is the limiting factor in my current setup I figured I would implement some functions on the FPGA itself since they are likely to be simple to implement. I have loaded the project in Quartus and have been looking at the Schematic for some time. I already figured I have to configure with a reduced number of RX, TX channels to free up some FPGA resources.

I was wondering where to put my extra logic in this diagram. To be more precise, the logic will only be affecting the RX side and I don't mind the 16-bit values coming out of USB, as long as it's processed with my logic.

I was thinking about putting the logic between the rx_chain blocks and the rx_buffer i.e. taking the I and Q values coming out of the DDCs and adding an extra block to do my transformations. I am assuming the rx_buffer only takes the values presented to it and shifts them out USB according to the multi-channel scrambling e.g. I0, Q0, I1, Q1, etc.

Could you confirm/infirm that my proposed design is valid ? Will the extra block delay affect the functioning of the system ?

Thank you,

--
Mark