Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upcoming changes in the development trunk

From: Martin DvH
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upcoming changes in the development trunk
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:51:31 +0200

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 08:12 -0700, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Martin DvH
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> * Elimination of the single-threaded flowgraph scheduler.  The
> >> "thread-per-block" scheduler is already the default in 3.2.  While this
> >> won't require any code changes, if you've been manually selecting the
> >> STS via the environment, you won't be able to do this anymore.
> >
> > Is it really neccesary to remove this?
>
> Not strictly necessary, no.  A lot of the new features in 3.3 will
> impact the scheduler, especially the new message passing between
> blocks.  It will be extra work to modify both schedulers.  This is
> Eric's area, however, so I'll let him comment further.

OK, I get the picture.
Since my single-threaded gpgpu-scheduler needs modifications as it is.
Maybe you should implement the multi-threaded-scheduler and leave the
scheduler choosing mechanism in place, and only leave stubs for the
single-threaded case.
I then could have a go at (trying to) implementing it for the
single-threaded (gpgpu ) case.

Eric, what's your view on this?

Martin