Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Format of captured data

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Format of captured data
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:42:56 -0700

Apologies for the wrong information. I don't mean to side track the
original query, but I have a couple of questions.

I found this in the FAQ.

"Regarding the bandwidth, we can sustain 32MB/sec across the USB. All
samples sent over the USB interface are in 16-bit signed integers in
IQ format, i.e. 16-bit I and 16-bit Q data (complex) which means 4
bytes per complex sample. This resulting in a (32MByte per sec/4Byte)
8Mega complex samples/sec across the USB."

So I guess here we are assuming that we are using usrp_s() ?

Everything is 16 bits. usrp_c just casts the interleaved shorts into floats, whereas usrp_s leaves the interleaved shorts as they are. That is why the min and max values are +/- 2**15 even in floating point.

 Also, since the ADC only has 12bit precision, are the extra bits used
to retain precision as we go through the CIC and Halfband filters?

Also, being byte-aligned is a key issue here. Imagine what would happen if the host had to shift every sample in memory.

If I were to use the std_4rx_0tx.rbf and usrp_s() to receive 4
channels. Then am I correct in saying that I need to have a
deinterleaver with 8 channels after the usrp_s() from which I will
club channel 0 and 1 into a new complex stream (similarly for channel
2 and 3 etc) to get 4 complex streams?

does the usrp_s/c answer clear this up for you?

-Josh