Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 Is Now Available

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 Is Now Available
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:58:45 -0700

John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
Are there any significant hardware differences between the beta and production units? If so, can the betas be reworked to production status?

Most of the small list of changes were in layout and are not user visible. The only change of note is that two of the clocks swapped pins on the clock generator, but this is all handled in the standard firmware.

The reasons for the longer than expected beta period:

- Software -- We wanted to make sure all the daughterboards were properly supported, and there were some ethernet throughput issues in the host drivers that we wanted to address. Everything works now.

- Hardware -- We got uncomfortably low yields on the first 2 batches of boards and needed to figure out the cause. It turned out that the problems were with a couple of our vendors, but it took a long time to figure out the root cause. We have corrected it, and neither of those vendors will ever be used again. Note that this did NOT affect any boards shipped to customers, which were all very thoroughly tested.

- Long lead times for parts -- Once we were ready to go ahead and build more boards, some parts we had a "hold" on had been mistakenly released to a different customer, and we had to wait 10 weeks for replacements.

Matt