Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CUDA GPU Vs CELL BE

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CUDA GPU Vs CELL BE
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:37:22 -0400

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Vincenzo Pellegrini<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I have recently had a look at two possibilities for SWRadio-aimed  intensive
> computing,
> which i guess are the two main development lanes for our kind of stuff:
>
> .:. Cell BE platform
> .:. CUDA & nVidia GPUs
>
> I think this list is the best place to for a discussion on PROs and CONs of
> the two solutions,
> but couldn't find any by searching the mailing list.
> has this been discussed already?
> regards to all gr-fellows

Last I checked, the CUDA stuff requires proprietary software and
drivers. Not an especially good fit for GNURadio.

Cell BE has the advantage of being exceptionally easy to target: I was
able to get a project I work on (http://www.celt-codec.org) running
entirely on the SPU of a PS3 within about 10 minutes of installing the
SDK. (Okay okay, I spent a little time reading the SDK docs while the
ISO downloaded and installed)

On the negative side, the only way mortals can access a Cell BE is by
using a PS3. This is silly and hard to justify to the applicable
finical controller (i.e. spouse or boss).  Being able to slap in a
video card is nice, especially since you could plug several into a
system.

Hopefully the Intel Larrabee
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrabee_%28GPU%29) will combine these
qualities and we'll have something which is open, easily programmable,
scalable, and affordable.