[Discuss-gnuradio] USB writing problem

From: Harvind Samra
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB writing problem
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:48:57 -0700

We've occasionally encountered cases, while running OpenBTS, where the
USRP code hang up and starts spitting out the following message
repeatedly:

short write xfer: 0 != 3584

In looking at fusb_linux.cc, it looks like USB writes suddenly cease to
complete.  Sometimes, the host machine hangs so badly that a reboot is
needed.

I know USB on linux has always had problems.  So my questions are:

1) Is this problem specific to the USRP or does it have to do with
libusb?
2) Is the specific to certain USB controllers?
3) Has this bug been addressed in recent updates/releases to gnuradio?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Harvind Samra
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.