Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP 2 on PowerPC - any issues?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP 2 on PowerPC - any issues?
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:47:58 -0700

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 06:34:49AM +1000, Geoff wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 03:20:47 am Eric Blossom wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 04:49:17PM +0100, Jorg Lotze wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > has anyone successfully used the USRP2 with a PowerPC Linux? I am
> > > planning to use it on an embedded system with a PowerPC Debian Linux.
> > >
> > > Jorg
> >
> > The current code won't work on big endian machines, and it also does
> > unaligned loads which won't work on PPC.
> >
> > This will all be fixed as part of the conversion to VRT.
> >
> > Eric

> This is interesting news. Hopefully it means that I will be able to get
> Gnuradio running on one of my hppa boxen :-). I recently acquired a well
> spec'd rp5470 that'd be perfect for the task.

I suspect that we won't run on hppa since IIRC it has a virtual mapped
cache, which I suspect will kill our mmap-based circular buffer trick.

If you've got some time, please try to build it --disable-usrp2
--disable-gr-usrp2
on your hppa and let me know if it passes make check.

FWIW, the rest of GNU Radio runs fine on PPC / big-endian machines,
just not the usrp2 interface.

Eric