Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clear my fundamentals

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clear my fundamentals
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:00:55 -0800

I have a related question: Is there anything like an (upcoming) industry standard for recorded SDR samples, *including* the metadata? I guess that would make it a lot easier to exchange recordings between different platforms, and would also save people from the hassle of encoding metadata in the filename or an external data source.

I would go with the vrt standard http://www.digitalif.org/
vrt gives you a standard for digitized if data and context/metadata. Also we have a library for it in gnuradio :-)

Given libvrt and pmts in gnuradio, one could implement a vrt_file_source/sink and use vrt as an interchange format for "saved" digital if data as well as the live-streaming data.

Of course, a lot of development/polishing has to be done before we can practically have these capabilities.

-Josh