Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Time of Arrival Hooks

From: Doug Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Time of Arrival Hooks
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:22:30 -0500

devin kelly wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm doing a project with the USRP2 that where I need to know the Time of Arrival(TOA) of the waveforms. This is for a geolocation application.

My understanding as of now is that the hooks to get TOA are there in the USRP2, but the firmware does not provide access to them at this point. Is this correct?

If the firmware can provide TOA, how can I get that information??

Thanks,
Devin
The timestamp on the frame of *samples* is indeed available - and if you use the low-level interface to the USRP2 (libusrp2) you can see those timestamps. However, the gr-usrp2 interface (i.e. the default source block for working with the USRP2) does not. If you want to see the timestamps in a GNURadio flowgraph, you'll need to create a custom block based on the usrp2_source_[32fc or 16sc] block. However, that won't give you the TOA of a received signal *directly*. You'll need some scheme to decide that a signal has arrived, and then calculate the TOA based on the timestamp corresponding to that sample (the timestamps you get from libusrp2 are for the first signal in the frame of samples - so you'd need to either calculate the running timestamp for each sample, or keep track of the offset within the frame somehow).
Good luck!
 Doug

--
Douglas Geiger