Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comparison between GNU Radio and FlexRadio

From: Ben Hoyt
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comparison between GNU Radio and FlexRadio
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:03:59 +1300

Thanks, Eric.

One thing to remember when talking about both GNU Radio and FlexRadio
is that they are each a combination of separable software and hardware.

Yeah, that's be a helpful distinction.

Matt's USRP offerings (USRP1, USRP2) don't provide a high-performance
out of the box (narrow band) HF transmitter and receiver.

(Disclaimer: I'm a software developer rather than a radio guru.) Can you tell me what specifically you mean by "high-performance" in this context? Would it need to be narrow band to perform well? It seems that several people are using the BasicTX/RX boards to do HF stuff -- what would be the limitations with that?

Thanks heaps,
Ben.