Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost-1.37.0 dependency in 3.2.2 debian packages

From: Arturo Rinaldi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost-1.37.0 dependency in 3.2.2 debian packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 00:39:13 +0100

Il 19/01/2010 20:06, Johnathan Corgan ha scritto:
2010/1/19 Pedro Lobo <address@hidden>:

I've just tried to install the gnuradio debian packages in Ubuntu 9.10
(Karmic), as per the instructions in
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/DebianPackages, and they don't
work. The problem is that the packages depend on boost version = 1.37.0
(as opposed to >= 1.37.0) and Karmic ships with 1.38.0.

Is there any possibility of having this dependency fixed? I know that I
can build from source or even add "deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu
jaunty main universe" to the sources.list and get the boost 1.37.0
packages, but it would be very nice to have a working Karmic package.

Unfortunately, the Boost ABI changes from release to release, so it is
not possible to build GNU Radio binary packages that are dependent on
a >= version of Boost.  Rather, they have to be tied to a specific
Boost version.

Jaunty ships with 1.35 and 1.37 available.  Karmic ships with 1.38 and
1.40 available.  So it isn't possible to build binary packages that
depend on a common version of Boost for both releases.

Right now I am testing the deb file creation process with 3.3git on
Karmic (9.10), using Boost 1.40, and these will get posted on
gnuradio.org in the unstable repository.  Depending on time (and
feedback), I will also build binary packages for 3.3git based on Boost
1.37, but it is unclear how to name them or publish them so as to not
conflict with the 9.10 ones.

Johnathan