Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mac leopard install problem

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mac leopard install problem
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:49:55 -0500

Hi Clark - Various levels of response. Bottom line is: You're way outside the scope of usual OSX / GNU Radio / MacPorts installs, so I don't know what assistance "we" can provide if the issue is non- standard (as this one seems to be). Good luck! - MLD

0) According to the EULA for Mac OS X 10.5, it's not legal to run it as a VM -- this fact is well publicized on the internet. I don't know about 10.6 -- rumor was that that clause would be diluted or removed, but I haven't checked the EULA or any sites that might have such info. That said, I, personally, don't care if anyone decides to do so so long as the install is otherwise legal. That said, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't go around advertising what I'm doing in public forums; my US$0.02 worth, although you didn't ask.

1) The MacPorts install of GNU Radio has been messed up for a long time, and may or not work depending on many factors. I've submitted fixes and updates multiple times, but they have yet to be integrated; I've applied to be a MacPorts developer & maintainer of the GNU Radio ports, but I have yet to hear even a peep back from them.

2) I highly do -not- recommend installing GNU Radio from MacPorts at this time -- no matter if using a VM or otherwise; I do recommend using the either 3.2.2 tarball or latest GIT master instead -- depending on the version of OSX you're using and your preferences (e.g., 64-bit compiling required the GIT master). That said, the dependencies for GNU Radio are fair game for installing using MacPorts and should currently work at least on a real box.

3) The actual error is "./libtool: No such file or directory" ... so it looks like GCC didn't configure a subdirectory correctly -- maybe didn't link correctly to libtool when configuring? I do have "gcc43 @4.3.4_0 (active)" installed on my (real) MacBook Pro, so it can be done. Given that you're working on a VM, I'd have to believe the issue is on that front and not MacPorts or GCC specifically -- but I really don't know since I've never tried what you're doing. I've never seen this issue (VM or otherwise), and if searching the internet doesn't help either then you'll need to hack into the MacPorts build directory to see what's going on (I use "pushd `port dir gcc43`/work" and then 'ls' to figure out where to 'cd' from there) & if you can correct it manually.