Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need info regarding USRP Front End protection/vul

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need info regarding USRP Front End protection/vulnerability
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:28:07 -0800

On 01/27/2010 03:53 PM, William L. Bahn wrote:
We will be using the USRP in an environment where it will be engaged by
an Electronic Attack system capable of putting out about 40MW of EIRP in
the form of pulses that are on the order of 4ns (possibly longer) but
with very fast rise times on the order of 500ps. Our system will be
using just the simple vertical whip antennas sold by Ettus. We are
looking at using pretty much all of the Flex series of daughterboards
and possibly the XCVR2450 and WBX boards as well.

What I need to determine is what the maximum power is that can be
present at the antenna in order to avoid damaging the front end so that
we can determine the minimum range to the jammer during the exercise.

Thanks.

You'll also want to make sure the enclosure is completely sealed, and may want to put shielding boxes or foil around everything.

Matt