Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Unable to tune Tx or Rx with XCVR2450 on USRP2

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Unable to tune Tx or Rx with XCVR2450 on USRP2
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:46:36 -0800

On 02/03/2010 10:19 PM, Ian Holland wrote:
Hi Matt

Sorry I wasn't completely clear in my previous post below. Specific
details are as follows:

When I say "it fails to lock over the full high band and low band", what
I mean is as follows. I ran a test program to step through the
frequencies
2.3 GHz to 2.6 GHz, and 4.8 to 6.1 GHz in 10 MHz increments, and for
every single one of those frequencies, it failed to tune the Rx
frequency and it also failed to tune the Tx frequency. This was, based
on earlier debugging, shown to be due to it not locking (i.e. Lock
detect bit was not set).

Clearly locking nowhere is a problem.

Serial number combinations are as follows. Please note that by
"Working", I mean not all frequencies fail to tune. However, some
frequencies near the edges of the lower band, and the upper edge of the
higher band, intermittently fail to tune even for combinations of cards
I refer to in the table as Working.

You should know that we only spec the boards from 2.4 to 2.5 GHz and 4.9 to 5.9 GHz. When we test XCVRs before shipping, we make sure that they will lock from 2.35 to 2.55 and 4.85 to 5.95 so that there is 50 MHz of margin in case of variation due to temperature or other factors. But there is no reason to think that they would lock all the way to the edges of the ranges you list since those are well outside of what we (and the chip manufacturer) specify.

Combination ID | USRP2 Serial | XCVR2450 Serial | Working
      A         | 933          | 990             | YES
      B         | 933          | 988             | NO
      C         | 1159         | 990             | YES
      D         | 1159         | 988             | YES

In my testing today, an additional problem was also noticed, as below.

To simplify testing, you only need to run either RX or TX since they both share the same synthesizer on the XCVR2450.

Normally I would tell you to send the parts back for me to check them, but since you are in AU, it would be expensive and take a long time. Instead, we may be able to debug this if you have an oscilloscope. If so, can you look at the signal on R45 and R56 on the XCVR? Note the frequency, and high and low voltages for each of the 4 combinations you mention above. They should look like a square wave in all cases.

Whilst using the internal clocks, a test was run to compare sampling
rates using combination A as Rx and combination D as Tx. As would be
expected without locked clocks, the sampling rates at Tx and Rx
differed. Then, another test was performed using the same external 10
MHz reference to both Tx and Rx USRP2s. As soon as the external
reference signal was fed into the reference clock input of combination D
(Tx), the transmitted signal level was observed to drop into the noise
floor, hence, I was unable to reliably detect the transmitted signal
with locked clocks. (I had previously run the same test with the BasicTx
and BasicRx daughterboards, connected by and SMA-SMA cable, and this
effect had not occurred with the BasicTx/BasicRx. Instead, the sampling
rates at Tx and Rx were identical, and I was able to successfully
demodulate a file transmitted using BPSK).

Assuming the signal you were transmitting was a sine wave with a baseband frequency of 0, then what you are seeing here is completely expected and normal. When the clocks are not locked to the same reference, there is some frequency error, and the signal received is at some frequency other than exactly on the LO of the receiver, and it will get through just fine. However, when the 2 clocks are locked to the same reference, the transmitted tone will be received exactly on the LO frequency of the receiver. When this is downconverted to baseband, it will appear at DC, and it will be nulled out by the DC offset correction, which occurs in both the analog and digital domains. You can turn off the digital one, but not the analog one on the XCVR.

To demonstrate this, you can run the following commands:

- To show a good tone being received:
    usrp_siggen.py -f 5.65G -A 0.1 -x 100k --sine
    usrp2_fft.py -f 5.65G

- To show the tone being nulled out:
    usrp_siggen.py -f 5.65G -A 0.1 -x 0 --sine
    usrp2_fft.py -f 5.65G

Matt