Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus Research News
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:40:30 -0600

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Don Fanning <address@hidden> wrote:
> Heh... You know I wondered the exact same thing a few weeks ago.  Matt
> "informed" me that the .PCB files were never released.  I did find a copy of
> the gEDA files used to make the schematic drawings for the USRP from a older
> GNURadio mirror.  So much of what I'm seeing from Matt has been a move away
> from Open Source and more towards "Closed Development".
>
> I love how the USRP brochure has this blurb:
>
> "Open Source Community
> The entire USRP design is open source, including schematics,
> firmware, drivers, and even the FPGA and daughterboard
> designs. When combined with the open source GNU Radio
> software, you get a completely open software radio system
> enabling host-based signal processing on commodity platforms.
> No software or licenses need to be purchased."
>
> While to the letter of the law he did provide the above details, he has/will
> not provide all the information/engineering drawings necessary for people to
> roll their own boards or to import existing designs so they can be modified
> to suit a person's/organization's project.  I can understand why being this
> is how he makes a living, but at the same time he shouldn't be promoting the
> design as open source... just open architecture-ish...

I never do this, but:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please be better informed
before libeling a real champion of open source software and hardware
and who has done so much for the software radio community as a whole.
On a personal level, he's also a very good friend.

I will let Matt answer your specific issues, but I find your tone to
be insulting and your comments baseless. This is not the kind of
community we have been fostering here.

Tom