Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] article: "No-knob" radio: the future ofWarfighte

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] article: "No-knob" radio: the future ofWarfightercommunications?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:48:30 -0600 (CST)

Matt-

> We have repeatedly made statements about our commitment to continue
> developing GNU Radio and to open source, both in our original
> announcement and in several following emails.  We employ three GNU Radio
> developers full time, including Josh Blum who created GRC.  I don't know
> what else you could possibly want, or how else we could possibly state it.

Everything I'm hearing sounds good, your statements are re-assuring and
passionate.

Please forgive me, but I'm just asking where's NI's official statement?  Is
that not a reasonable question to ask?  I
checked their website every day this week.  I doubt I'm the only one who was
doing that.

> If you read the GPL, you would know that nobody can take GPL'ed code
> away from you.  If the US Army guys in the article below have any
> concerns, I'm sure they know how to contact me.

Not to quibble, but like anything else, GPL code cannot infringe an existing
patent.

> I don't understand your concern about the lack of a press release.  The
> acquisition has closed and we are continuing to go about our normal
> business.  Right now Tom and I are working on MIMO OFDM code.  You can
> follow our ofdm branches in git if you like.  Still all GPL.
>
> I understand the concern about any significant change like this.
> However, I would ask you to look at Ettus Research's 5 and a half year
> commitment to GNU Radio and open source, my personal 9 year commitment
> to GNU Radio, my personal 12 year track record of contributions to
> multiple open source projects, the tens of thousands of lines of open
> source code we have produced, and our multiple affirmative statements of
> continued support.

Yes I know.  I recognize this fully.  I'm a 50 yr old guy with a long track
record in engineering and business in DSP,
telecom, and software since I started writing Apple II programs in 1980.  In my
day we didn't have open source (or the
Internet) so we started small companies and learned the hard way about patents
and IP rights and acquisitions.  When I
was a few years younger than you are now I was founding a company after leaving
another one I had co-founded, which
eventually got acquired in Jan 2004 by NI.  So yes I'm old curmudgeon who's
seen a lot, which is why I insist on
asking such questions.

I can see I'm probably being annoying, so I'll keep my questions about an NI
announcement to myself from this point.

-Jeff