Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFX900 Failure

From: David Evans
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFX900 Failure
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:05:53 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response. Yes the SAW filter is broken and putting a capacitor in as you suggested has brought the output power back up to normal. :-)

So, a couple of questions please,

   * Can the SAW be damaged by too much power from the PA? (I could
     find no info on the maximum power limits for this device, just the
     bandwidth and attenuation).
   * Can the SAW be damaged by a mismatched load (i.e no load!). I've
     asked around about this and get differing opinions
         o Yes, because the reflected power will be additively doubled,
           and enhanced due to the high Q of the filter
         o No, because the filter is a passive device, and the power
           will just pass through.
   * Also, apparently, SAW filters can easily be damaged due to
     physical shock, damaging the piezo electric material, so maybe
     this was just a one-off. I'll have to replace the chip anyway

Thanks again guys,
David