Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard

From: Tim Pozar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:55:42 -0800

To echo what John sent.  There are provisions to do testing and very
limited radiation from "intentional radiators".  You can see them
outlined in Part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regulations...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=0df10ae68df3af4194db436740229487&rgn=div5&view=text&node=47:1.0.1.1.14&idno=47

Depending on the frequency/band you are going to use, there are levels
that you can operate under.  Typically, levels are rated in how many
microvolts per meter that is induced on an antenna that is X number of
meters away from the radiating device.

If you just want to test a product, it is better to bench test it using
a closed system with coax and attenuators to simulate free space loss.
This way you can be assure you are not leaking out RF energy that could
be causing interference, you can be assured that you are testing with
known RF levels to confirm receiver sensitivity and transmitter power
levels and you are shielded from outside interferences that could affect
your testing.

If you need to test in free space, depending on the band you are using,
you may be under Part 15 rules to produce very low levels of RF.
Anything beyond that would require, as John said, an Special Temporary
Authorization for an experimental license.  You can see some details at:

        http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/elbfaqs.html
        http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/filing/elb/

If you are going to be operating on a frequency that is already in use,
you will need to coordinate with that license holder and get permission
to use it.  You will need to demonstrate this to the FCC when applying
for your STA.  This is one of the reasons why the OpenBTS picked Black
Rock and Burning Man to test.  It gave them a rather isolated area with
that would be easier to coordinate with and a population to test with.

A brilliant move if I may say so.

If you want to get an STA, I suggest you work with a telecom attorney
that has some experience in this area as it will speed the process up
considerably.  The OpenBTS folks may be able to help.  I can point you
at lawyers in this area if you like.

Tim

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 4821 CFDA 06E7 49F3 BF05  3F02 11E3 390F 8338 5B04
       http://www.lns.com/house/pozar/pozar_4096_rsa_public.asc