[Discuss-gnuradio] RSSI measurement / questions

From: Juan Ramon Gutierrez Agullo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RSSI measurement / questions
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:08:10 +0200

Hello

I would like to be able to measure the received signal power by the
USRP2's antenna at any compatible frequency. My idea is store the value
of the received signal power in a variable, which I'll use to determine
if the channel is busy or not (based on a configurable threshold).

I've taken a look at USRP2_fft example and I've thought this:

[USRP2 source] --> [Complex to Mag ^2]--> [FFT sink]

When I run this graph (using grc) in a computer, I obtain the USRP2's
measurement modulus. On another computer I run a program which generates
802.11 a/g/p frames. The result is: there's a big difference between
received signals (when I'm sending 802.11 frames and when I'm not
sending).

My questions are:

- Is it a good way to test the 'RSSI' by the USRP2's antenna? Is it
accurate?

- How could I store some resultant samples in a file (instead of
graphical sink)? If I could do this, I'll be able to estimate whether
the channel is busy or not.

- Does it exist another method to do the RSSI measurement "easily"?

- I've been reading and googling before posting, and I found this post
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2007-08/msg00088.html
but it's from 08/2007. Is it possible to check the value of "rssi
registers" directly? Are they deprecated because they're related to
USRP1 & inband signaling?

Regards,

J. Gutierrez